Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Would you rather be rich or famous?

Current Mood: Impatient

To answer the question above - I would most certainly rather be rich but maybe a certain kind of famous. Who in their right mind would want someone from Star magazine or Page 6 loitering outside your house waiting for you to come outside in a bathrobe and no make up on - not me thats for sure.

I have a point I promise - well sort of.

In chatting with my little sister Annie this morning, she informed me that I was famous. I of course wanted to know what she meant by this. Afterall, I am just a young american girl that decided to embark on adventure halfway around the world to a tiny but vibrant island in the middle of the Indian ocean. Ok I see what you mean - to most people that doesn't even enter their mind.

I am certainly NOT most people - although as a child I was the shy and chubby kid who with extreme self confidence issues, since about 18 I have had a sort of spirit in me that makes me want to meet the people and "spread my wings" (corny I know - but I think I get it from growing up in a family that encouraged me to do this and learn new things. I don't mean the way that Angelina Jolie wants her children to be "citizens of the world" because she is crazy but the general theme of broadening one's horizons).

What (I think) she meant is that there are a whole lot of people out there that read my blog.
And I quote: "i think that blog really makes people happy because obviously you're missed." So simple yet so profound. I was touched.

I certainly try to appeal to the masses. I know that I insert my individual opinions but the LAST thing I want to do is turn people off and make them not want to hear from me!

Back to the events of the past 24 hours (or less)...

I had an uneventful afternoon and left to go home at around 5:15 ish. Hugo (my new roommate of sorts who is going to work here in Mauritius for at least six months and is french) arrived last night and I'm sure Audrey and I talked his ear off when all he really wanted to do was go to sleep! He seems like he will be a lot of fun!

Today I have a meeting at a hotel called the Shanti Ananda which is in the very south in a town called Riviere Des Galets.


Some little things:
-it is about 10:15 am as I write this on Tuesday 11/04/08 or election day. It is now after midnight on the east coast - we will shortly know who our new president will be! It has been quite an experience to be overseas during this time - everyone is interested and anxiously waiting. To Senator McCain or Senator Obama: I am going to need a "real" job at some point, will one of you please help the economy and end the recession so that I can find one at some point?? Thanks, much appreciated.
-Hugo says that I speak french with a mauritian accent - its Audrey's fault
-Hugo has been dutifully warned - in about 2 weeks he will start to know EVERYONE
-Stephanie is back today!

To be continued....

No comments: