Friday, December 12, 2008

Starting to feel weird

So today is my second to last Friday here in Mauritius. I am starting to feel a bit weird about leaving. On the one hand I can't wait to get home and see everyone but I am really going to miss all of the wonderful people that I have met here. While Mauritius is a beautiful place by itself it is the people that I have met that will make my experience here unforgettable.

Yesterday afternoon was pretty uneventful - it wasn't as hot as it normally so I didn't feel like I was going to die of heat exhaustion. I made considerable progress on my final project of preparing my survey which I am happy about and I am hoping that this afternoon I can do the same thing.

Before I left yesterday I stopped to chat with Jordana for awhile. Her ride was impossibly late so I offered to give her a ride home since she lives just on the way. I love to have people in the car with me from time to time as I it makes the traffic and the driving seem to go by faster (as I have said over and over again, the island is full of the craziest drivers that I have ever seen in my life). I dropped her off and then headed home.

Audrey needed to go to the grocery store because she had to pick up a few things for dinner. We came back and shortly after Rosaline came over for dinner. We just had pasta for dinner last night which was fine by me. We all stayed up chatting for quite awhile.

When Rosaline left Audrey and I were the only ones left up so we decided to treat ourselves to an extra glass of wine (we drink Cape Leaf here which is a south african red - never seen it at home).

I woke up this morning and leisurely got ready - I had to take a few extra things with me to the office as it is Friday and I am probably going out tonight so I needed my makeup and such. It was a quiet morning here at the office as Greta, Cindy, and I worked wrapping presents for our VIP clients - they get leather covered planners with their names engraved on them.

I had a big lunch today with Alex, Greta, Navin, Jean-Francois, and Kannen. We went and had Curry Roti - a crepe/pancake with curried meat and vegetables inside. I had it for the first time at the end of my first week here and was excited to go back as it tastes delicious! It took absolutely forever to drive back as there was an enormous traffic jam for no particular reason - what normally takes 10 minutes took 45!

Tonight a bunch of us are going to happy hour because Alex's last day at ATS is next Thursday. I have plans to go shopping with Carol tomorrow and on Sunday Alex is having a BBQ at his place. So my last weekend here is action packed - I hope to have lots of stories to tell on Monday!

Some little things:
-I saw a chicken cross the road - and lo and behold it needed to get to the other side
-on the drive back from lunch today Alex, Greta, Kannen, and I had a philosophical discussion about meat vs. beef.
-Jean-Francois told me that he was going to miss our friendly banter that we engage in all day long when I leave (Bonjoooouuuurrrrr, ca vaaaaaa????)

More later...

No comments: