Thursday, October 9, 2008

Mickey Mouse for President!!

It's Thursday and what a week it has been already....crazy. I decided to change the title of my blog to something more interesting-the other one was too boring. If a literary career is possible for me-no one is going to want to read a book entitled "My Life in Mauritius."

I am constantly amazed at the amount of people that read my blog! I have somewhat of an international following as stated among my comments-I'm glad that people I don't know think I am interesting. I love reading everybody's reactions-my only request is that all comments continue to be PG rated-I don't want my parents, grandparents, little brothers and sisters, other family members, employers, etc to be offended. If anybody has anything particularly juicy to tell me-send me a text or shoot me an email!!! I still love to feel connected to those of you back home!!

I received my absentee ballot in the mail yesterday and Ralph Nader is listed among the presidential nominees..will the man ever stop??? I hear campaigning is expensive and his 15 minutes of fame were over a LONG time ago. I have decided to vote for Mickey Mouse-I really like what he has to say on foreign policy and the economic crisis that is going on right now. Totally kidding...

Anyway-I have a renewed sense of belief in the Six Degrees of Separation phenomenon- the theory that suggests that everyone in the world is connected to one another within six degrees. So the story goes like this:
I was having lunch with Alex like usual yesterday and I started talking about my high school french teacher Mme Head and how she came from Martinique. Alex got excited because in fact his mother's family come's from Martinique. So I emailed Mme Head and she told me her maiden name to which Alex responded that he has cousins with that last name-and his mother might very well know Mme Head as she told me she had heard of that particular family name. To think-I have never known Alex but we have always been connected by less than 6 degrees!! C'est cool!!

On the work front-I'm excited because I have my first appointments next week with prospective clients. I'm excited to get to see more of Mauritius and meet all kinds of interesting people. My coworker Pamela who is in sales is going to accompany me because she is the one through whom I got these meetings-should be fun!

Tonight is Alain's last night-he is returning to South Africa tomorrow. Audrey, I'm sure, has a delicious meal planned!!

Some little things:
-I saw an enormous cloud on the way to work this morning that looked like a giant who was about to overtake the island-those who are more religious might think that G*d or Jesus took form using clouds, or maybe it was Superman-who knows?? I love abstract ideas that can be interpreted in many ways!
-I have seen the same crazy car 2 nights in a row who likes to weave in and out of traffic-the person is a lover or traffic roulette
-There was a person reading a newspaper at the wheel on the way in this morning-this should give you an idea of the many standstills that Mauritian traffic likes to create
-saw a woman walking down the street in broad daylight with curlers in her hair-WHY??
-heard someone on a motorcycle scream WOOHOOOO WEEEEEE as they zoomed past me (Yes-we are not like you, most of us do not have motorcycles)
-I had another encounter with the Mauritian police today-The light had just turned yellow as I was cruising through the intersection and a pick-up truck decided to stop RIGHT in the middle of the intersection. So I turned to go around him and there right in front of my face was the red light. I kept driving as I had already crossed the intersection and I heard the policeman yell something at me. I looked in my rearview mirror and noticed that he made note of my license plate number. I found a place to pull over briefly and I got out of the car to talk to him. I told him in my best french how sorry I was and that I was already in the intersection and I try to be a careful driver. He then asked me what my name was, where I worked, and where I was from (clearly not Mauritius). I did not say that I was American but I told him my name and where I worked. He smiled and said he'd cut me a break-Oh the joys of being female and a foreigner.....
-I think I just felt some water from the ceiling drip on me
-mosquitos are the dumbest living things on the planet-as soon as they bite someone they die-you'd think they'd see a pattern. Many many mauritian mosqitos have died while feasting on my tasty blood

And my life continues....

No comments: