Saturday, August 30, 2008

saturday 8/30

just thought id update a little bit more today...I had my first meals here yesterday. For lunch it was a mushroom tart which was surprisingly good and for dinner some sort of meat, potato salad, calabasus (mauritian vegetable), and curry along with some red wine. we had foie gras as an appetizer along with champagne because it was my first night here and their daughter Celine`s last night. I had my first experience in a Mauritian "boite" or night club. I went with their son antoine and got to meet some of his friends. I can describe it in four words-techno and strobe lights. It`s very different than anything in the states-it reminds me a lot of Europe. I got to meet a lot of people and practice my french. The only part that was frustrating was the fact that they wanted to practice their english while I wanted to practice my french so there was somewhat of a communication barrier. I`m doing ok speaking french right now but i forget some vocab words from time to time.
We got home pretty late but for the sake of certain family members who may be reading this I will omit the time. I didn`t sleep much at all last night and was up at 8:30 this morning. No one else was around so I decided to go for a walk on the beach. It was absolutely beautiful. The water is a clear blue and it was just the perfect temperature outside. There were some people riding horses in the distance and a few others walking dogs or just walking by themselves. The beach is really interesting here as it has a very pronounced curve so you get an idea of what the coastline looks like. I came back and had some cereal and have been relaxing all morning. I will try and post some pictures a little bit later....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

haha.. I love your description of the night club.. Antoine was soooooooo tall compared to Annie and I.. I'm sure you saw. The beaches are truly amazing there.. Your making me super jealous that I'm not there right now. Once you settle in and are staying in the black river area, see if veronique or your driver can take you by our villa.. you will love it! I'm enjoying reading your posts so keep em coming!