Monday, December 1, 2008

3 Months!

Gators 45 Criminoles 15 - watch out Bama!

Well, today is December 1st and I have been living and working in Mauritius for exactly 3 months! Time has gone by EXTREMELY fast but I definitely feel differently than I did when I first arrived. I cannot believe how much that I have learned and the amount of great people that I have met. I am so happy that this blog has been such a success and thank you to all with whom I regularly communicate. I will be home soon enough!

On Friday, I went to happy hour like usual with my coworkers. It was Shri the intern's (see cast of characters) last day so there were more of us out than usual. I was too tired to do anything afterwards so I went just went home. I was starving and luckily Audrey had some leftovers for me to heat up in the microwave.

I randomly woke up at about 7:30 on Saturday morning and about an hour later, it became unbearably hot and humid (stayed this way throughout the weekend). Even though I have been a floridian for almost 9 years - I have never not lived in florida without AC - I have no AC where I live here. I did nothing but laze around all day long. Audrey and I went out for lunch after going to the grocery store and each took naps when we got home as Audrey, Hugo, Rosaline and I went out for dinner as it was Hugo's last night (he is now Alex's roommate). Afterwards we all went to the new bar up the road for a quick drink after deciding we were all tired from the heat and headed home.

On Sunday morning I woke up at around 8:30 to find that Hugo had gone to work - he worked 7 days last week! I went with Audrey to see a local outdoor market but I was def not in the mood to shop as I was so hot. Luckily Audrey felt the same and we went home. Hugo came home in time for lunch so the three of us ate and then we played a game called Trionominos (sp?). It is played with triangles that are numbered and you have to match them. I was the only one that hadn't played before but I won the first game! The second game was a draw.

Hugo and I later decided to go to a town called Chamarel to see the "7 colored earth." Originally, Mauritius was volcanic and somehow the lava flow created a ridged earth that is comprised of seven colors and absolutely no vegetation. Unfortunately, it was raining so we could not see all of the colors. We also saw the waterfall at Chamarel which was quite impressive as well.
Later on in the afternoon we went and swam laps for about an hour and got some good exercise in.

A bunch of us were at dinner last night - a french couple named Kathryn and Luc who are here until tomorrow, Audrey, Hugo, Stuart (he left this morning), and I. We had fried noodles and fish and it all tasted great!

I had a hard time sleeping as I kept coughing and waking myself up and not to mention the strange dreams that I was having. Paul is back in the office today and I suspect this afternoon I will kept Greta with more present wrapping. Hope you all have a great week!

Some little things:
-Alex is the latest person to find out that I am adopted-people always think I am offended by questions but I never am
-I was telling the guys on friday night that I would miss them and Rajnish countered with"you will forget all about us when are with your friends back home" - I certainly hope not!
-each floor of offices is assigned one stall in the women's bathroom - the key is supposed to be kept downstairs but somehow it is never in the right place and one always has to go in search of it
-the international calling card that i purchased does not only have instructions in english and friench but in creole as well
-Alex says im not like other girls because I like beer - my response: I went to a very large american university where life revolved around the football team

More later...

1 comment:

adem said...

If you worried to making International calls think to high call rate then don't worries now BT announced a new offer to you including calling plans that allows you to free International calls just dial simply 0870 339 1182 or 0870 801 2501 and save you money on International calls check it out at www.briing.com/free-calls/0870.php