Wednesday, December 3, 2008

First Hump Day of December

Well its Wednesday and it seems like Sunday night was just yesterday. Although I detest Mondays and Tuesdays, everything seems to be going by very fast here.

Alex left early yesterday (around noon) because he had another doctors appointment for his back. Since I had had so many issues the day before of trying to catch the bus, I took a walk down to the bus terminal on my lunch break to see if there was a sign that I perhaps missed. I didn't miss anything - like everything else in Mauritius, the bus system is not very well marked.

I grabbed a quick sandwich afterwards and headed back to the office. I helped Greta and Cindy wrap more presents to the point where the tips of my fingers were sore. I left the office yesterday at around 4:15 as to try and find the direct bus home. Luckily I was there at 4:40 when it arrived. I wouldn't use the word "pleasant" to describe my second bus experience but I would describe it as slightly more bearable. The seats were slightly more comfortable and I had a row to myself. I tried to read my book but had to put it down as the driver kept making abrupt stops which caused me to feel queasy.

On the walk home, Audrey and Christiane drove by and I hopped in the car with them to go to the grocery store. Once I got home later, I had to take a quick nap because the heat wore me out (yes it has been that unbearable).

Benjamin (yes he goes by his full name) came yesterday. He is from the Ivory Coast and works for Colas (he is also an engineer) and will be staying until around the 23rd of December. No stories yet - we are all just getting to know him!

Work today has consisted of wrapping presents and organizing into boxes by region of the country - it makes it easier for whoever will make the deliveries. There were 4 of us involved in the process so it went by relatively fast.

I'm not sure what else is in store for today but I will let you know soon enough (as I always do)!

Some little things:
-Stuart, an avid surfer, calls the small group of locals who surf regularly the "white short brigade" - Audrey says everyone calls them that - they get mad at the tourists who want to surf on their waves
-saw a street yesterday called "Kung Fu Lane"
-the main drag in Grand Baie is called "Sunset Boulevard" - I get the impression that the Mauritians have a fascination with california (reference to Bel Air, Melrose, etc in previous posts)
-if you have been reading off and on and have skipped a few posts, chances are something that is not explained well in one post is better explained in another - just type what you are looking for in the upper left hand corner and click "search blog"
-Emmanuel greets me with "Bonsoir jeune fille" every evening (hello young girl)
-Kathryn and Luc commented to Audrey the other day - "wow it must be so nice to have a young girl around to help you" - Mom you would be so proud....

More later...

No comments: