Thursday, October 30, 2008

And the adventure continues...

I wish I could think of something witty at the top of my head to start off this post but for the life of me I cannot think of anything. So i'll cut to the chase and try to make the everyday sound interesting and groundbreaking.

Since yesterday was my 2 month anniversary ( I know that anniversary is not the correct term because it should only be used to count years - I always hated it when people, especially in middle and school would say things like "OMG its our 3 day anniversary!!" but you know what I mean just the same) of being in Mauritius, I had to go to the immigration office. At customs at the airport, they only gave me 60 days even though I showed them that my ticket home was for December 20th.

As far as the government of Mauritius knows, I am here on an extremely long vacation at Veronique's house and am actively practicing my french. So off I went to the immigration office yesterday with my application to extend my visa, a copy of my ticket home, a letter from Veronique that included her address, copies of my passport, my actual passport, and a copy of Veronique's passport. Luckily, Veronique knew someone at the office so I didn't have to wait in line-walked right in.

First let me explain that the office smelled like something died and it was extremely hot (no AC that I could see). I of course explained again why an American such as myself spoke french. Then I was asked why I was late filing an extension. I replied that I wasn't late because the deadline said October 29th. The man responded and said that the 29th meant that it would expire on that day. I apologized and luckily he stamped my passport and let me keep my life going here on the island.

Audrey and I went out for chinese (again) last night because Robert and Celia were eating dinner out. We ate rather quickly and I was home and in bed at around 10 pm.

Some little things:
-I am not sure if everyone knows the story of why I wanted to learn french (if you care to know). Anyway, at the end of 6th grade, we were all asked to choose a language to take for the following two years. I chose french because it was the only one where I knew that an overnight field trip was involved (went to Quebec) and that would mean missing school. None of the other languages offered this incentive. I just continued after that.
-occasionally, people will address me with the formal "you" or "vous." In french to say "you" you can either say "tu" or "vous". "Vous" is used most often in the plural sense to say "you all" or "you guys" (depending on your colloquialism of choice). "Vous" can also mean "you" when you address someone older than you that you don't know, a superior at work, a teacher, a policeman, or when out and about shopping. "Tu" is the informal and used most often. This is used for anyone close to your own age, a child, or someone that you know well. It is most often the case that if you continue talking to someone, you or the other person will suggest that you use the informal "tu" when addressing each other. I feel that I am too young a person for the "Vous" form but people still use it towards me despite my insistances otherwise.

More later..

No comments: