Thursday, October 23, 2008

Sweating like a pig...

Wow-im late posting today. I was a bit occupied this morning and this is really the first time I have been at the office all day!

Yesterday- Pamela and I had a meeting at yet another 5 star resort called The Grand Mauritian. Luckily it wasn't too difficult to find and did not take that long to get there. We were a bit early so we awkwardly sat around until the man we were supposed to talk to came to find us. I had to explain EVERY SINGLE ITEM on the questionnaire to him - somewhat frustrating. I never remember the names of people that I interview because not only are they long but extremely difficult to pronounce. It turned out to be another old friend of Pamelas - she informed me later that she had been at his wedding but now he is divorced - Mauritius is not immune as divorce happens to roughly 50% of the world's population. He wondered why I had asked so many questions about the technicians - even if we don't get the new business we can still our technicians that they need to better behave themselves and/or dress more appropriately when out on assignment.

We returned to the office at about 3:30 after dodging tons of traffic heading in to Port Louis. I stayed at the office until around 5 and left for the day. Audrey and I had another quiet dinner at home and I was in bed by 9:30 or so.

Today was the day that I had to pay my ticket that I got while talking on my cell phone while driving. I thought that I would just be able to easily stop in at the police station which is on the way to work - no such luck - I had to go across town to the courthouse pay it. I had a meeting at a hotel called the Oberoi this morning which is in the same vicinity as the hotel that we were at yesterday. It was a bit of a process to get my questionnaire properly filled out as the first guy didn't know the answers to the technical questions. So he found someone else who could answer the first. The second was a bit rude and seemed extremely hurried but towards the end he was nicer and filled out the questionnaire and gave us alot of helpful information.

After 45 minutes and a thousand questions later - we finally left. It was about quarter of noon when we got back so I dropped Pamela off back at the office and tried to go and make another attempt at paying my ticket. I didn't know at this point still that I had to go to the court house because no one specified it this morning. So I headed back and I was then finally told that I had to go the courthouse. I had no idea where this was at all but I managed to find it because luckily the enormous map that I keep in my car has a legend on it.

I found the courthouse and went inside - it was a little bit after noon. I was told by the guy at the reception that in fact the cashier was out to lunch and that I needed to return in an hour or so. At this point I wanted to scream because not only was I about to spend a decent portion of the money that I make monthly but they were making it difficult for me to do - the last thing I need is a warrant out for my arrest in Mauritius.

I left and went back to the office so Alex and I could grab a quick lunch like usual. After lunch, we walked back to the office where I got in my car for my 3RD attempt at paying this pain of a ticket. I went BACK to the courthouse and luckily the cashier was there. I gave him my money and with a sigh of relief, a spring in my step, and a song in my heart I left.

I am now back at the office and as the title of this post (yes post, NOT blog) indicates, I am very hot and sweating so profusely that my clothes are sticking to me - but theres work to be done this afternoon.

Some little things:
-both hotels mentioned are in a town called Balaclava -its difficult to pronounce and I always think of the mediterranean dish (?) Baclava (sp?) but in fact the name of the city has an extra syllable (Ba-LA-kla-va)
-Although I adore the people of Mauritius , they need to get together and decide where they think I'm from. Sometimes they ask if I prefer to speak english and sometimes they ask if I am French
-Alex says that maybe they think I'm really belgian because I speak french bizarrely - mean
-On the way back yesterday, we saw a bus full of small children no more than 5 or 6 who were waving and making faces at us. Being me - I made faces right back.
-visiting these prospective clients is a bit luck rush - all of you current and former sorority girls and fraternity boys will understand as we always had to "flirt" with someone of the same sex to convince them to be one of us - I "flirt" with prospective clients (male and female but at the same time I am NOT attracted) to make them see the benefits of working with ATS


I need a nap but unfortunately I can't take one...

No comments: