Monday, October 6, 2008

GATOR BAIT GATOR BAIT GATOR BAIT!!!!

The title of todays post is a well-deserved shout out to my team as they CRUSHED Arkansas this weekend-I have yet to read the full story but I will be reading it shortly!

I had another action-packed weekend here in my adopted country of Mauritius and another action-packed (hopefully) week at work coming up.

All day Friday I went back and forth from feeling like I needed to take a nap at my desk to being deliriously away-brought me back to my days of Dance Marathon. I managed to plow through it all and left the office at about 5:30 to head to happy hour because one of my co-workers moved to Canada yesterday. Yes CANADA-where it is cold and no one should ever want to move there-I prefer the tropical climates of Mauritius and Florida....not to mention if I have to be far away from Tim Tebow i'd rather be here!

We all stayed a few hours at the Suffren (the hotel that hosts happy hour) and said our goodbyes to Roegen. After a quick snack-I drove up to Grand Baie to head to Zanzibar-the place of choice for Mauritians in the know on Friday nights. I was shocked to see Alex there as he never goes out-but he was along with it seemed like almost every person that I have met over the past 5 weeks. It was alot of fun! We all danced the entire night away....

The next morning as I was driving home-I was in Port Louis-I was chatting happily on the phone when a policeman pulled me over. My international driver's license was about to serve some use!! I told him that I was american and gave him my florida DL and my International License. I was unaware that it is illegal to talk on the cell-phone while driving here-so I got a ticket for 2000 ruppees (about $70!!!) I am going to research it this week and find out what exactly will happen if I neglect to pay this ridiculous fine-I don't want to be deported and I want to be able to come back to Mauritius one day.

I was absolutely exhausted when I got home around lunch time and tried to rest for a little while-it was not happening. So I gave up and went to the internet cafe to go on facebook-one of my favorite pasttimes!!

I went to bed at around 10:30 on Saturday night and did not wake up until 11 on Sunday morning-total bliss!! I decided to go and spend the afternoon at the beach where I could lazily people watch and watch the wind/kite surfers. I found Alex to be taking full advantage of the windy conditions as I saw him briefly. Audrey's friend Christiane came over to eat dinner with us and pass the time while her husband was glued to the soccer game that was on TV. I was again exhausted last night, ate dinner and went to bed.

Some little things:
-Stephanie informed that I did not need to take malaria pills (she is an avid reader of my blog) because there is no risk here-I know who to track down should I come down with it...
-Office gossip is worldwide as I found out from my coworkers on Friday night (would not be wise to post the whole story here)
-I keep seeing the same people everywhere-Mauritius is like one big small town
-I'm thinking of dressing up as an american tourist for halloween-fanny pack and all
-I have strange dreams here-a mix of english and french
-My french continues to be regularly corrected-I guess i'm not as good as I thought-such is life
-everyone thinks that when I talk to my mom every afternoon that I'm talking to my boyfriend back home in the states
-i'm glad to hear that something good is happening back home-OJ IS GUILTY!!! (If it does not fit you must aquit....not so much)

More later...

No comments: