Thursday, November 13, 2008

Merci Alain!!




Finally! I have put some pictures up! However I must credit these to Alain who stayed with us about a month ago. I have photos of my own as well but I thought these would be a nice teaser!
Anyway- what you are looking at on the bottom is a view of the back of the house. The one that I prefer is the one on top as this is a view of the backyard. Notice the mountains in the distance. Just behind the fence are the salt mines where the laborers work from very early in the morning until sometime around mid afternoon. We spend a lot of time outide at that table as it feel great at night - usually breezy and the moon and stars in all their glory!
One of my favorite parts of the day is just before I get home in the evening, the sun is beginning to set and all I can see in front of me are the moutains. For some reason they are now exceptionally clear as the sugar canes on either side of the road have been burned away and harvested (controlled burning is part of the harvesting process). My other favorite part of the day is chatting with whoever is home about the days events. One never knows precisely how we get on certain subjects but they are interesting nonetheless - mostly current events, funny stories, and joking around in general.
Yesterday was a Wednesday like any other. Alex and I grabbed a quick lunch which we ate outside on the front steps by the church in the center of town. In the afternoon I went home and relaxed and caught with Audrey, Hugo, Emmanuel, and Stuart about the day's events. I was in bed around 11.
This morning was a bit of a drag as the internet in the office was down. IT, always hard at work, luckily fixed the problem. Who knows what the afternoon will bring? Hopefully sunny skies!
Some little things:
-as I walked into the office this morning, my friend Bruno says to me "Hello Ka-laaayy" - just to mess with me as he knows I HATE when people pronounce my name wrong
-somehow we got on the subject of chinese people last night and how they eat dogs and cats - I said they must eat humans too. Hugo responded that they only eat Americans - to which I responded "well they must think we taste good"
-this later led to talking about what sounds animals make - Audrey and Hugo thought it particularly funny that animals in america don' t have accents and kept making me repeat "Cocka Doodle Do" for the rest of the night
-The way that I know that I am well adjusted here is that I am now involved in inside jokes both at work and at home - I won't go into them because inside jokes are one of those "you had to be there" things.
Hope everything is going swimmingly at home!
More later...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good morning Kallay...your mom and i just rea your latest blog. and the pictures! you're living a pretty great life there.
we're enjoying the last hours in Tuscany, and home awais. the next few weeks promise to be very exciting, but we've been there before as you well know. we'll call you sunday, and for now we'll enjoy our last glasses of red/white wine and eat the wonderful pasta. ciao