Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Proud to be an American...where at least I know I'm free

Hello everybody and welcome back as I take you inside life halfway around the world!

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

In looking for something inspirational yesterday, I came across the preamble to our constitution. I vaguely remember reciting the words when I was in school but I must admit I have never taken the time to sit back and fully understand the true wisdom that it is expressed. Please allow me to offer my 24 year old interpretation.

First and foremost, we are a "People," not "persons." It seems that the dream of our forefathers was that despite our differences, it is our duty to work together and provide unconditional support concerning the general welfare of our "People" in hopes of guaranteeing future successes.

I am optimistic that as a nation, we will continue to find better ways to work together while healthily discussing our differences. God Bless America!

It has been very exciting indeed to keep up with our election but I am glad that it is over and time to worry about other things! I have had a busy week but not without excitement.

Yesterday afternoon, Pamela and I went to a beautiful hotel in the southern part of the island called the Shanti Ananda. While the island itself is small, the roads are extremely are no where near straight and oftentimes very bumpy. It took 2 hours to drive there from the office! Luckily I took the same roads that I use everyday so we found the hotel without much difficulty.

However, when we got there, we were told that the executive chef (person most qualified to fill out my questionnaire) would not be in until next week. Yet they still scheduled a meeting with us! Needless to say, Pamela and I were a bit peeved as we had just driven all that way only to be told that my survey could not be filled out. So defeated, we drove the 2 hours back to Port Louis. I calculated that I was in the car for a total of 6 hours yesterday - 1 each to and from work and then 4 almost all at once.

Yet another person came to stay where I live last night - he will be here for about a month. Like Hugo, he works for AJMC Colas, a worldwide engineering firm that is here in Mauritius. After a lengthy dinner, I happily went to sleep.

I came to work this morning to not only find out the results of the election but also to find out that I had a local meeting just 10 minutes or so away at a hotel called Le Labourdonnais. Ben, another person from sales, went with me today instead of Pamela. We met with the executive chef and director or purchasing. I am glad that Ben was there with me as they had lots of questions about products with which I was not familiar.

I came back and since Stephanie was busy and Alex is out sick for the second day in a row, I went a grabbed a quick lunch by myself. I expect to have a pretty uneventful afternoon but I am going with Stephanie to her parents' for a cocktail party (my boss) to celebrate their home being in the family for 50 years. It should be a lot of fun!

Some little things:
-The mauritians seem to know a lot about the American political system - I don't even know who the Mauritian president is
-The road along the coast (literally right next to the ocean) was extremely narrow and windy. Pamela said that cars have been known to get swept away into the ocean during nasty weather - scary but it least it was nice outside yesterday!
-because of these road conditions, we saw a few signs that said "DEAD SLOW" - the word "dead" seems to be a bit ominous
-we saw what we thought was a cow lounging under a tree only to realize that it was actually a rather large woman

More later...

No comments: