Friday, September 5, 2008

Adventures in driving on the wrong side of the road

I finally got my car on Wednesday afternoon. It is a small european looking silver car...it's a little bit bigger than the silver bug I used to have. I must have asked the woman at the dealership so many questions that she was glad to see me go (Is there insurance?, Why does it beep when I back up?, etc.) I followed Veronique back to the office and got my first little bit of practice in. When I got back, my boss Paul really wanted me to drive Stephanie all the way the home, pick her up in the morning, and take her all the way back to the office to get her car the next day. I compromised and said I would follow her even though I knew the way well enough to go by myself. Also, we had off yesterday because of the Indian religious holiday Ganesh (involves an elephant and making sacrifices in the ocean) so I did not want to drive to the office on our day off and neither did she.
Since I had off yesterday, I took it as the perfect opportunity to explore a bit and practice driving on the left. I decided to be ambitious and resourceful and use my map to find my way all the way to the north end of the island (I live in the south-but no rednecks to speak of). I got a little turned around at points because the roads are not well marked at all so it took me about 3 trys before I actually got on the highway. But I got there successfully! I had some difficulty coming back because I didn't know that you have to get off the highway at different points than you get on. So, I ended up driving all the way south pretty much before I could turn around...at least I know now.

Other tidbits I didn't feel like putting in to complete sentences:
-I don't actually think to myself "ok I have to drive on the left"-I just look to see which direction the cars are going
-Everything is opposite-I have not broken the habit of reaching to my left first for my seatbelt and I walk to the wrong side of the car to get in the drivers seat
-Often when I attempt to flick the turn signal-I turn on the windshield wipers instead
-I have always been taught to stay in the center of the lane-not too close to the edge and not too close to the divide (thanks mom!) but here-because there are no sidewalks and there are dogs everywhere, I have to keep more towards the middle of the road
-people like to wander aimlessly in the streets
-on my way to and from work-there is a sign that says "Stone Crushing Plant"-it took me a second before I realized that it was factory
-i ran over a chicken with my car yesterday
-there are no lights on the road at night
-you must tailgate if you want to move at all when there is traffic

-yesterday while in grand bay, i saw a sign for a cybercafe and followed it but it turned out to be someone's front yard-oops
-i saw the only mcdonalds that exists in mauritius-no time to take a picture because I was in the car
-the radio is horrible-too much talking
-I heard that song "Love don't cost a thing" in French

-I had an intensive discussion about the pussycat dolls and britney spears with 2 of the people that i live with-they wanted to know how to translate "pussycat dolls" in to french-i told them i had absolutely no idea how
-its funny to listen to parisiens sing american rap songs
-i'm starting to get sick of pasta
-found out most of the french hate nicolas sarkozi and carla bruni

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i really enjoyed the last comments, especially about driving habits (you know, the seatbelts, turn signals, etc...i made the same observations and mistakes when i drove over there). at least you have a small car, imagine driving a van on those roads.
keep writing, you're really funny and i need the humor right now. Ciao

Anonymous said...

i miss you.
i hope your having fun.
"ciao"
=p

Unknown said...

did anyone pick the chicken up and eat it?
When I was a kid my dad hit a turkey in rural GA in our minivan. We stopped in some hillbilly gas station to check the busted headlight and these rednecks went back and got the turkey and were going to eat it for dinner. No joke. lol.

Kallay said...

nope couch-didnt see anyone eat the chicken but that would have been hilarious!