Monday, September 8, 2008

Hi Everybody!

Unfortunately, I can only get internet here at work so I am sorry for the delay in posting.

On Friday, I went out for lunch with some of my coworkers for Indian food. It was a crepe of sorts with curry, vegetables, and whatever kind of meat you wanted (I chose chicken). I was quite proud of myself for being so adventurous and it actually tasted pretty good. A few others that I was with ate 2 or 3 but I could only manage one because of they were huge.

I spent the rest of the afternoon back at the office trying to plug along at this survey. I was one of the last people here and everybody else cut out a bit early. I thought it was better to stay a bit late so that I could get ahead a little bit and show that I'm trying to be dedicated.

Right after work, I went with some others to a hotel here in Port Louis called the Suffren. Every Friday evening, they have happy hour in the bar area and everybody under 30 who works ibut n Port Louis or in the surrounding area goes there to unwind. They also have little appetizers to snack on. Later on, I went up to Grand Bay ( in the north) to hang out with some friends because we were going out later that night. I spent the night out there because it was too far for me to drive all the way back down south.

People don't go out until much later here-around midnight or so. We hung out at the apartment and played ring of fire (I had no idea that this was a worldwide phenomenon). Some of the rules were a bit different than what I am used to but it was no problem catching on (4 to the floor, 5 to the sky, etc).

We later went to Zanzibar which is the techno and strobe light place that I mentioned a few posts ago. After, we went to some place called Les Enfants Terribles (The Terrible Children). It was a slighlty older crowd but I liked the music there a little bit better. We were out all night and even saw the sun come up!

I went home later in the afternoon and took a nap after stopping to grab a diet coke at the grocery store and to buy an international calling card for my mauritian cell phone (I tried to call a few of you the other day but no one picked up-pick up all strange numbers until december as it might be me!) I didn't do much of anything the rest of the weekend except relax. I caught up on some reading and tried to go to bed early. I tried to go to the local internet cafe to get on facebook because if you bring your own computer and it has wi fi it is free. It turns out that it is closed on Sundays so I sat at a table outside and tried to connect anyway. No such luck.

Two of the people that I have lived with for the past week left this morning to return to Paris. So excited to have my own bathroom for a time!

As you all know (I hope!) my birthday is tomorrow and I will be 24! I have tried to tell everyone that I possibly can. I actually share it with a catholic holiday here called Pere Laval. It is for a french missionary that did a lot of charity work here in mauritius and he is being considered for saint hood. Unfortunatley, I still have to work.

A friend of Audrey's (the woman who owns the house where I am living) has a friend whose daughter's birthday is today (21st but not a huge deal here in Mauritius). I am invited over there for dinner tonight tonight as well so I am excited about that. More later....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi Kallay...i see by my world clock that it is 11:03pm, so in 56 minutes you'll be 24! Happy Birthday!!!

what the heck is ring of fire?

Kallay said...

ring of fire is a card game haha