Wednesday, September 17, 2008

It's raining, it's pouring...

What a day it has been already, keep in mind that it is POURING rain and this all took place in FRENCH-

On my way into work this morning, someone along the way brought it to my attention that I had a flat tire. I pulled over as soon as I could to assess the damage. It was my rear passenger side tire (remember this would be on the drivers side in the states). I managed to prop the car up but I couldn't figure out how to get the tire off. I found a policeman (he asked me what country I was from) who popped the hubcap off quite easily. Another man on a motorcycle came up and offered to change it for me (I know I looked ridiculous is a skirt and heels trying to change a tire in the rain-I currently look like a drowned rat). When he was finished, I gave him 100 rupees which is only about 3 or 4 dollars. He was so happy and as I drove away he kept waving at me and smiling. I guess its not customer to tip good samaritans who change your tire.

Everyone proceeded to laugh at me as I came in the office as I had called Alex before and told him what was happening. My skirt is about half dry now. A man is coming today to repair my original tire-thank goodness.

Other than that-life is pretty dull. I've been at work and Nicolas' grandparents are leaving today. We had an animated discussion last night about the exploits of Nick Sarkozi and his wives. It turns out he came to Mauritius with his first wife.

I created a spread sheet version of my questionnaire yesterday which took most of the day to try and get it exactly right. Hopefully I will have the final draft by the end of the day Friday-I can only hope.

Some little things:
-If there is a lack of water pressure when trying to take a shower-the pump has to be manually turned on and it sounds like an industrial sized hairdryer
-While driving, I always seem to get stuck behind the trucks with workers in the back who like to stare at me-I've perfected the "I don't see you except through my peripheral vision" look
-I have a daily routine-wake up at 6:30, shower and get dressed, leave at 7, stop and buy a liter of diet coke to wake up, arrive at office around 8, eat lunch with Alex/Stephanie at around 12:30, mom calls somewhere between 3 and 4, leave for the day between 5 and 5:30, get home around 6:15, relax for awhile, eat dinner around 7:30 or 8, in bed by 9:30 or 10.

Hope I don't freeze in these wet clothes

More later...

No comments: