Monday, September 1, 2008

some observations i have made:
-KFC is everywhere and there is only one mcdonalds in the whole country
-i have never seen such crazy drivers anywhere in my life-Europe included
-salad is eaten after a meal-i can never eat it because i am too full
-there is a mountain here that is referred to as "la pouce" (the thumb) because of obvious reasons
-people don't drink diet coke before lunch time-something i will have to get used to
-there is no pavement-i already disfigured the stiletto on my shoe a bit
-almost everyone has a maid-it only costs about $100 a month

Above are some things that I keep forgetting to mention in here so i thought i would go ahead and put it in.

Yesterday, we took the Boston Whaler out on the ocean and pulled up to a hotel where Prince William stayed along with a helicopter. I still can't get over the color of the water-it is so clear that you can see right to the bottom.

We left the beach house yesterday and went back to their principal home. It had the biggest backyard that I have ever seen and has one of those wrap around porches.

I woke up this morning and left for my first day of work. It turns out that I am the first ever person from an english speaking country to intern here. So there is a lot of pressure resting on my shoulders. I was assigned to the marketing department where I am working with 2 others-one french and one mauritian. My assignment is to help develop a customer survey for the companies clients-mostly in the hotel industry. It sounds interesting so far. If you are interested the company website is www.ats.mu. It was all a bit overwhelming this morning because I get the feeling that my direct boss Paul thought that I already knew what I was going to be doing when in fact I didnt. I think that he understood in the end though. I went to lunch with Stephanie to an outside cafe for paninis. She's going to take me to my boarding house this afternoon because she lives close by. She's going to show me where the Supermarkets are and other things of importance. I get my car tomorrow and I promise to write about my experience of driving on the other side of the road. I'm not sure if I will get internet where I am living but I definetly have it at work along with access to my email. Unfortuneately-I can't get facebook here at work but maybe its for the best-we shall see.

I have a local number here now-+2309857262 so if anybody gets a call from a strange number it might be me!

More later...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kallay, it's hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Watching the Hills without you is unbearable. I miss you. Glad to hear you are having a good time.