Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tuesday 9/23...

GO GATORS!!!!

(Had to get that in here somewhere)

Well-While fall is in full swing in some parts of the US, Mauritius is about to head into their Spring/Summer thanks to the equator. It rains off and on but as for now it is sunny outside...we'll see how the days goes.

Some little things:
-I'm thinking about pitching to one of the major networks back home the idea for my own reality show. I would call it "An American in Mauritius"-along the same lines as "An American in Paris." For the most part, I live an interesting life here and I think America would find my other culture experiences endearing
-saw a sign yesterday that said "Guiness is good for you." While I don't happen to like guiness, I know a few friends would be happy to hear this good news!
-I'm starting to learn a little bit of creole-mainly "ayo" which means "o gosh" and it is probably the most widely used phrase (surprisingly-everyone has told me that is the people who come from english speaking countries that learn creole the fastest, the french have no clue)
-there is a complete lack of american football-my only choice this past weekend was Manchester United vs. Chelsea
-the drive into work I really don't mind at all-its actually kind of enjoyable-the drive home is horrendous (it took me an hour and a half yesterday!)
-The last day of Ramadan is next week and it is a nationaly holiday-all religions in Mauritius get a national holiday or two per year (fyi the major religions are: Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, and Catholocism)
-The parents who can afford it send their children to french private schools here on the island because the public school system is completely awful-when they graduate high school the parents who can afford it send their kids to college in Europe and South Africa (a few go to the United States)
-I have never seen so many varieties of school uniforms in my life
-It is obvious that I am a foreigner with all of the mosquito bites that I have

Yesterday being monday was a particularly exausting day. It was one of those days that all I wanted to do was go home and take a nap. I managed to stick it out however until 5:00. Work was pretty uneventful as I kept finding tiny grammatical and spacing errors in my surveys-so frustrating. I made it home and managed to relax and read my book for awhile. We had pizza for dinner (each of us had our own personal size-Audrey certainly is creative) and I was in bed at around 10:15.

Hopefully I'll have something more exciting to report later....

No comments: