Friday, September 19, 2008

NEW BACKGROUND!

As you all may have noticed-I got bored with my other background and chose this one instead. I think it makes it easier to see and read.

Yesterday was a for sure a day out of the ordinary. I was quietly working at my desk at around 3:30 yesterday afternoon when I heard lots of commotion going on outside. Everyone ran outside to see what was happening.....

A woman who works here was walking along the street on her way back when a bum (extremely intoxicated) snatched her purse! No I am not kidding...The gate to the office building was open and I guess in some sort of panic he ran straight into the building, up the stairs, until he reached the top floor. Everyone was outside laughing because he was perhaps the dumbest criminal that anyone had ever seen-why in the world would he run inside somewhere and UP THE STAIRS rather than down the street?!?!?! There were a few cries of VOLEUR! VOLEUR! (thief).

It was a perfect example of whatever goes up must come down. Someone "found" him because there isn't anywhere to hide here since the entire office is open air. Eventually he stumbled down the stairs where everybody was (somewhere in the mix the woman got her purse back-they must have thrown it out the window). About 5 construction workers started to beat him up with whatever they could find-a 2x4, a metal rod, fists, feet, whatever. They also slammed his head against the metal gate.

The police arrived and I started the round of applaused-they handcuffed him and took him away.

To all my law school friends-in our country, if the woman sued him-he would be liable for conversion or trespass to chattel? Negligence per se (if there was a statute saying that you can't steal a purse)??? I know that it is for sure theft. The police didn't seem to care that the construction workers beat him up-and I doubt the bum has the money or the presence of mind to sue anybody for assault and/or battery. Oh well.....

The rest of the day was not quite as interesting-went to lunch with Alex, went to out for pizza with my friend Olivier, managed to not get a flat tire.

Nicolas' mom came yesterday-she's going to be here for a week I think. I couldn't believe how young she was-Nicolas is 22 and she is 42!!! She seems nice but I doubt i'll see much of her because the two of them will be gone most of the weekend.

Some little things:
-every day I have to swallow these bluish green horse pills so I don't get malaria-I hope its working with the amount of mosquito bites that are currently on my body
-yesterday was the first day that my car wasn't blocked in
-this morning when coming in to work-I thought that the police directing traffic asked for me to stop but it was really "keep going"-there was an angry motorcyclist behind me who also tried to let me know
-people in Mauritius have only been on facebook for a year-when I tell them I have been on for four years they can't believe it
-i have trouble saying my r's in french-i sound like an idiot
-Alex was not scared when he rode with me through the streets of Port Louis in search of lunch (could not walk because of the rain)

Hopefully-I will make it to the internet cafe tomorrow!

More later...

No comments: