Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I feel older-not sure about wiser

Well-yesterday was my birthday and now its over. It was a good day and most people around here seemed to remember (I didn't exactly let them forget either).

Mom and Steve sent me a bouquet of flowers after which I promptly turned red as everyone stared at me. They were absolutely beautiful though-lots of pinks and oranges.

Veronique took Stephanie and I out to lunch to this little outdoor cafe around the corner. It was definetly the most decadent lunch that I have had here in Mauritius. Steak, Frites, Vegetables, Marlin, Salad, and ice cream for dessert! I had not one but two diet cokes (gasp). After lunch, we went to pick up the cake that Veronique ordered for me-it was almondine and delicious. It wasn't exactly the chocolate on chocalate cake that I normally enjoy on my birthday but as they say-when in Rome (when in Mauritius).

I took a few pictures of my cake back here at the office but as per usual-I forgot to bring my USB cord with me for my camera. I received lots of facebook messages from people wishing me happy birthday (via text on my phone) and got a few phone calls and emails.

I had pizza for dinner at home with Audrey and her friend Kathryn along with lots of red wine. It was delicious! I went to bed around 10 and fell right asleep.

Some little things:
-The wattage is higher here than in the US-my hair dryer operates on full force at the "low" setting. If I put it on the high setting, sparks fly
-There are a few dogs around here that look like they have had one to many puppies
-It is terrible to lose one's debit card in a foreign country
-im starting to learn some of the songs on the radio
-its hump day
-parking is not easy here at the office-normally i am blocked in and have to wait for the offender to move his or her car
-the police officers here do not carry anything on them-no guns or handcuffs to speak of
-it can be distracting to work in an office where i can see everyone at all times-i am always looking around and if i catch someone's eye they think im trying to get their attention
-I've been enjoying researching the hotels in mauritius-a lot are 4 and 5 star and are absolutely beautiful
-there is no soap in the bathroom so i have been using purell like its going out of style-if anyone wants to send me a costo sized supply that would be wonderful!
-i saw a town the other day called mullet-no joke

Miss you all!

No comments: