Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Some idiosyncracies I keep noticing around the office:
-there is never any toilet paper in the bathroom-everyone has their own roll to take with them so its plainly obvious when anyone has to go-not sure how I feel about it
-there is a woman who works here whose only responsibility to stop by all the desks every few hours and ask you want some hot tea-i am not a tea or coffee drinker but maybe I will venture and try it out one of these days
-when it is time for lunch-there are not very many places to go and choices are limited. Would you like a sandwich or a sandwich? (Sadly I'm not kidding)
-A lot of people here have unexplainable absences-they leave frequently for hours at a time and I have no idea where they go-I on the other hand might as well be chained to my desk
-Often times I can hear 3 languages being spoken at once (French, English, Creole-they like to have a choice I guess)

Other things in general that I keep noticing:
-I am the minority-almost 70% of the island is Indian. It is totally new experience for me but it is really interesting to see all of the different cultures. At the same time, even though there are many different kinds of people-Indian, Chinese, Creole, Muslim, Franco-Mauritian-none of them mix together at all-they all keep to themselves.
-all of the dogs here are malnourished-it is really sad to see
-where i live-there are locks on every single door and it doesn't clost except when it is locked-when not locked-the doors swing open (this can be a problem while showering)
-everyone thinks that the absentee ballot is a totally bizarre concept. No matter how many times I try to explain it I always resort to "In America, we all have the right to vote no matter where we happen to be living"

I went to bed really early last night-at about 9:45. I woke up at 5:30 this morning on my own-no alarm clock. This NEVER happens to me. I couldn't watch tv for go on the internet because neither exist where I live. I just read a book until Stephanie came to pick me up. I love to read while I am here because even though speaking french is fun for me-I still need my daily dose of English-its very comforting.

Tomorrow I have the day of off work because it is an Indian religious holiday. I don't know what its for but I plan on exploring a little.

I hope that those of you in Florida don't blow away due to the approaching hurricane but get a few days of off school or work instead!

More later...

3 comments:

Alissa said...

hey, i enjoy reading your blog- the day to day stuff is quite interesting. look forward to seeing photos-hope you're doing well! :)

Unknown said...

the right to vote--what??
Just giving you a hard time-I'm enjoying reading about your life there!! Miss ya!

Kallay said...

sorry couch, i meant PRIVILEGE to vote